Veil shanks (Ossobuco) – 6 pieces, each with a thickness of 1 to 1 ½ inches. This is around 2 kgs in total.
Flour (all purpose) – 1 cup
Extra virgin oil – 1 cup
Unsalted butter – 1 tablespoon
Yellow onion – 1 piece
Carrots – 2 pieces, medium
Celery sticks – 1 piece
Garlic – 10 cloves
Wine (white) – 1 cup
Chicken stock – 1 cup
Canned tomatoes – 1 can
Bay leaf – 1
Thyme – 3 pieces
Minced parsley – 2 tablespoons
Lemon zest – 1 lemon
- Turn on your oven and set to 165 degrees Celsius or 330 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Start by rubbing both pepper and salt on the Ossobuco
- Place the flour into a bowl. Gently place each Ossobuco in the flour too coat it.
- Once coated, set aside. Heat olive oil in a large pan
- Once the olive oil is shimmering, add the Ossobuco gently on the pan. Avoid overcrowding the Ossobuco in the pan.
- Cook each Ossobuco until its brown on all sides. Set each piece aside until all the pieces are browned.
- You can always add more oil when it’s over in the pan.
- Once all pieces are set aside, add a little butter to the same pan. Once melted, add the chopped celery, chopped onions, chopped carrots and three cloves of garlic.
- Let these vegetables cook in medium heat until soft. You can stir occasionally to avoid sticking.
- After around 5 minutes, the vegetables should be soft. Add the canned tomato and the wine.
- Take the Ossobuco and add the pieces gently to this mixture. The pieces should be spread out evenly to avoid any layering.
- The liquid mixture at this point must cover at least almost fully. If the mixture is too little, you can always some stock or even water.
- Let this whole mixture simmer and include the bay leaf at this point.
- Take the simmered Ossobuco pieces and place in the pre heated oven. Cover them with a parchment paper then leave them to bake for 2 hours. After 1 hour, remove the cover and let them continue cooking.
- As the pieces bake, take a small bowl and add your zest, parsley and remaining cloves of garlic.
- Stir this mixture well and add half of it to the baking Ossobuco in the last 20 minutes.
- Once the pieces are ready, place them in a platter and serve while hot. The remaining zest mixture can be used a garnish as you enjoy the meal.