If you search for the top 10 Japanese must have food, and top 5 most delicious Japanese dishes, you will find Okonomiyaki at a very reputed place. Today, you will find a detailed guideline to prepare Okonomiyaki easily. Apparently, Okonomiyaki is a pan fried item that consists of cabbage and batter. There are some certain topping and ingredients that depend on the choice of the eater. Those toppings can be meat, seafood, cheese, and wasabi. The name Okonomiyaki originated from “Okonomi” which means “To one’s liking” and it refers the topping thing you saw before. Let’s now check out the recipe to cook Okonomiyaki.
Large Capable (1/2)
Self-Rising Flour (2 Cups)
Water (2.5 Cups)
TSP Dashi Powder/Chicken Stock Powder (2 TB)
Katsuobushi (10 gram)
Large Sliced Negi/Scallions/Shallots/Spring Onions
- At first, slice the cabbage. Then bruise whole of it by squirting them with hands. It will soften the slices.
- Now, mix water, eggs, flour in a large bowl. Then add pickled ginger, dashi, and Negi. Do not forget to add cabbage then and mix them as well.
- Now, start heading oil in a pan. Add the cabbages in the oil and stir them in a circle for 9-inch. The thickness shall not be more than 1.5 cm. Now, ensure that the amount of batter is enough to hold the whole mixture together. Do not forget to clean the edges of the pan by using a spatula.
- Then, start placing finely sliced pork/beef/chicken/bacon on top.
- Cook the whole mix for 5 minutes in medium below heat. Now, you can flip it and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Now start spreading the sauce you prefer on top of the mix. And you can decorate it with Ao-nori, and mayonnaise.
Photo by Chippycheeky